Friday, March 27, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

I want to wish my father a happy birthday today, March 27th, 2009. I am sorry I'm not there to share the happy times with you, dad, but I know we will have many to come in the years ahead. You've always been someone I have admired, and yet still someone I will never fully understand. I guess that's what makes it special. We are not so very different, but I hope you can appreciate me being my own person in the choices I make in this life of mine.

I ask you this: Are you happy? Don't answer too quickly. Part of me feels that you and mom have created a comfortable, secure life, and in that there is some happiness. I think that there are many things you both have ignored or decided, in fear of change, to avoid in life that could bring happiness to you. I ask you to, in these coming years, go after those dreams and ambitions you have long set aside while and creating a home for us kids. Take advantage now of your acquired wealth, ideals, and wisdom and experience life at its fullest. I think about these things all the time, and want only for you to be happy as you grow older.

Hopefully, you and the family will have a great time. I do wish I could be there. Amy has gotten you a gift from us, and I can't remember what it is, but in addition to that, make sure you come up and stay with Dylan and I this summer and catch some fish. Fishing has always been a medium of bonding for us, and I anxiously look forward to that. Love you dad, John

No comments: