Thursday, September 18, 2008

Substitute Teaching

Hey all!

Just thought I would take a moment to salute both myself and the substitute teachers that have gone before me. As many of you know, I began substitute teaching for the Elko county school district about 2 weeks ago. Since then I have come to realize both the joys and sorrows of this role. The best part of being a sub, is the chance to be "cool" sub...the sub that the kids want to see. The scary part of being the sub, is finding the happy median between being the "cool" sub, and being eating alive by noisy kids and attitude. I don't know if I have yet to be labeled "cool", or not, but I definitely have had to wobbled along the fine line. For example, I have already had the privilege of facing, what I will refer to as, the trouble students. Interestingly, when I began subbing I was most nervous about facing the boys, I have now learned that boys are nothing in comparison to the devilishly scary world of teenage girls. I can only pray that I was never so awful as some of the attitude that I have encountered.

Now that I've taken the time to rant about the darker side of subbing, I would like to share some of the finer moments that continue to make me smile. John giggled when I told him how happy I was when some sweet elementary students commented on how pretty they thought I was. Isn't it amazing how just a few little words, from a few very small little girls, can make one's ego sky rocket!

One of the neatest aspects of substitute teaching is the chance to experience many different levels of growth and development. I am lucky enough to be certified to teach at any level, kindergarten to high school. This has really allowed me to witness the variety of positive and negatives that each area can provide.

Although the extremes have occurred in the high school and elementary, I must admit I am beginning to truly appreciate the junior high. Junior high students are at the perfect age for teaching. They have learned many of the basics so it seems possible to carry on a real discussion with most of them. On the other hand they are just young enough that they haven't had the chance to develop a lot of high strung attitude like many high school students possess. They also seem to be still willing to learn, evening excited about the prospect of taking on new information. That, in itself, means so very much.

Overall, I've found the experience very rewarding. I can only hope that it continues to go as well as it has so far.

Amy

1 comment:

Lori Bjorklund said...

HI!
Glad to hear you are enjoying subbing Amy, most of the time that is!! I can just see the little girls looking at you and saying "WOW, she's pretty!!"
And I really enjoyed John's last post on Angel Lake and Boise! Glad you had fun with my granddaughters!!!!
(And daughter and that son-in-law of mine too!)
What a great experience to be able to see parts of the country that you never realized you'd ever see!
Love you both!!!