Wednesday, August 6, 2008

West Wendover!

We are settled into our new home and the weather is fabulous. I am very excited to start school and I actually started getting paid today so that is great. The program RISE for teachers new to the school district is great (it's kinda like CA Training for those of you who remember-but a lot more professional and less patronising). I am really excited to teach but maybe not as excited as they are to have us here! Amy is getting certified to Substitute, which could lead to a long term deal, while she pursues her ELED degree. There are many new teachers to WWHS and a lot of younger people as well, I guess in the Elementary School too. All are very nice people and fun to talk with and will be great to work with.
I can't get over how wonderful the weather is here. The mornings and evenings are so beautiful and comfortable, and the sun shines everyday--can't beat it. I'm really tempted to get a membership and golf but priorities won't allow it as of yet. My friend Brian and I are gonna do some mountain biking and hike Pilot's Peak pretty soon (10,000 ft.) as well as swim in angel lake. I have heard one may cliff dive there as well!
Life here is pretty laid back and I know I will be able to focus of work and we will become accepted greatly in the community--we already have. We look forward to visitors but it's great to be on our own and I am enjoying cooking every night. I made a spicy pasta the other night that was delicious, despite it being a bit spicy for Amy's taste. We walk everywhere which is good for our bodies and we're still poor so we don't eat very much which is good for our weight. I think we've both lost weight since being here. The air is dry so we suck down a lot of water, but that just makes us healthier too! We are looking ahead but it's nice to slow down and settle in after an exhaustive and expensive move. We miss our friends and family but know you are busy as we are and will visit soon. Take care all, more to come. JOHN

4 comments:

Daniel Rohmiller said...

sounds like you guys are having a blast! give em hell! ;)

Lori Bjorklund said...

Great to hear your excitement John!!! You 2 are going to do great out there, as we knew you would!! Hoping the substitute teaching/finishing your degree goes well for you Amy!!
Hugs to both of you and know you are in my prayers daily!!!
Love, Lori

Melissa said...

Hey John and Amy,
Thanks for letting me know about the blog. It sounds like you have finally gotten settled. That's always a relief. It' nice being on your own but don't forget about your sibs, John. Now you'll experience the difficulty of coming to visit like I have. The only good thing for you is you don't have kids yet.
Anyway, take care and best of luck. I'm glad you like it out there.
Love ya and miss ya,
Melissa

Melissa said...

Hey John and Amy,
Thanks for letting me know about the blog. It sounds like you have finally gotten settled. That's always a relief. It' nice being on your own but don't forget about your sibs, John. Now you'll experience the difficulty of coming to visit like I have. The only good thing for you is you don't have kids yet.
Anyway, take care and best of luck. I'm glad you like it out there.
Love ya and miss ya,
Melissa